Friday, June 26, 2009

Confections and Conversations at the Downtown Market

I dropped by the Farmers’ Market a couple weeks ago in the Bank of America Plaza to get my last fix of Ghalia Organic Desserts before they left the downtown market scene for greener pastures in Westwood. I can’t say I blame them for the move – I like Westwood better too. The last $20 in my wallet went to vegan brownies and my favorite sugarless cookies, with a blueberry-apricot coffee cake thrown in. Khatija, the owner – I’ve mentioned her here before – left her full-time job fairly recently to pursue her dessert business, and I told her truthfully that I am about ready to do the same. Not to pursue a dessert business of course; I’m a terrible baker. But to take that necessary leap to focus solely on what I want to do with my life, and eliminate the elements that keep me from getting there. I have a lot of respect for her, because that leap takes a lot of nerve.

I also dropped by Elizabeth Sayles’ antique jewelry table for a chat and to ogle all the pretty necklaces. Moon and star themed gold Edwardian lockets, hand painted pendants from India depicting a lucky Ganesha, and art-deco rhinestone pins hung on long elegant chains that encourage a girl to wear a cleavage-bearing dress just to show off her jewelry. A table full of temptation. But I was able to focus on conversation enough to learn some exciting news – Elizabeth got a call from an editor at Vanity Fair magazine who requested a box full of her religious icon jewelry because her pieces had been specifically requested by their model for a fashion photo-shoot: Penelope Cruz.

She also mentioned that her father complimented my writing while she was visiting her parents on a holiday to the East Coast. Which is small news in comparison, but just as nice to hear. Unfortunately she had bad news as well – two pieces had been stolen from her table the week before, and she now has a couple of copy-cat designers who are frequenting the same flea markets I had highlighted in an article I wrote about Elizabeth a few months ago. The flea markets are all fairly well known in antiquing circles, so hopefully they didn’t lift their tips from my article specifically.

No comments: